Baxter County properties listed in the
National Register of Historic Places

Property

Location and Additional Information

Baxter County Courthouse

   Courthouse Square, Mountain Home.

   1941-1943 structure built by Works Progress Administration (WPA). Listed         in National Register of Historic Places on 5/26/1995.

Big Flat School Gymnasium

   Co. Rd. 121, S. of junction with AR 14, Big Flat.

   1938 structure built by National Youth Administration.
    Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 11/19/1993.

Buford School Building  

   Hwy. 126, Buford.

   1936 Works Progress Administration (WPA) built educational structure.         Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 9/4/1992.

Case-Shiras-Dearmore House

   351 E. 4th St., Mountain Home.

   1880 Plain Traditional style home linked to prominent local families.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 2/3/1992.

Casey House

   Wade and Arena Streets, next to the Fairgrounds in Mountain Home.

   1858 dog-trot structure built by pioneer, soldier & politician.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 12/4/1975.

Cold Water School

   2422 CR 73, at McPherson (official register says "Big Flat vicinity").

   1926 one-room rural school.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 5/29/2008.

Cotter Bridge
a/k/a R.M. Ruthven Bridge

   US Hwy. 62, over the White River, Cotter.

   1930 Marsh rainbow-arch bridge. The Cotter Bridge is a National Historic           Civil Engineering Landmark.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 4/4/1990.

Cotter High School Gymnasium

   412 Powell St., Cotter.

   1936-1938 structure built by Works Progress Administration (WPA).
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 9/29/1995.

Cotter Water Tower

   NE Junction of US 62 B & State Street, Cotter.

   1935 Public Works Administration – funded water tower.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 1/24/2007.

Davis House

   Junction of Wolf St. and Hwy. 5 South, Norfork.

   1928 pyramid-roof cottage. Listed in National Register of Historic Places on       3/23/1995.

Fort Smith to Jackson Road
Talbert’s Ferry Segments

   Address: Restricted, Cotter area.

   Circa 1836 military road segments traversed by John Benge Detachment          during Cherokee Trail of Tears.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 9/22/2004.

Horace Mann School Historic District
a/k/a Norfork Public School

 

   City Hall Circle, Norfork.

   1936 Works Progress Administration and
National Youth Administration-built school complex.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 1/29/2007.

Mountain Home
Commercial Historic District

 

   Downtown Mountain Home
(roughly bounded on the North by E. 5th St.,
E. 9th St. on the South, South St. on the East, and Hickory St. on the West.

   1892-1959 commercial center of the Baxter County seat of government.           Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 6/15/2010.

North Fork Bridge

Hwy. 5 South, over North Fork of White River, Norfork.

1937 steel-deck Warren-truss bridge.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 4/9/1990.
The bridge was demolished in 2014.

Old Joe Site

Address Restricted, Norfork area.

Circa 1500 rock prehistoric art site.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 5/4/1982.

Rollins Hospital

107 E. Main St., Gassville.

1923 community hospital building.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 9/20/2007.

Sid Hutcheson Building

13912 Hwy. 5 South, Norfork.

1910 cast-concrete building important to the town's commercial history.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 9/30/2014.

Wolf Cemetery

County Road 68, Norfork.

1823-1904 cemetery of notable pioneer family.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 3/13/2013.

Wolf (Jacob) House

Hwy. 5 South, near W. fork of White and North Fork Rivers, Norfork.

Circa 1825 two-story, dog-trot log home of pioneer leader.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 4/13/1973.

Additional Information regarding these sites is located at:

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program

National Register of Historic Places